Monday, March 8, 2010

To a Friend from Long Ago

This post is a little different from my other posts. On March 3rd, Mark Welsh passed away. The cause was a severe asthma attack.

Mark was a friend of mine from back in my high school days. We were both on swim team together, but we became friends during the two summers after high school when he, two other friends, and I would go bowling until late at night. When I think back, I wouldn't have imagined that I would have connected with Mark through bowling. After those two summers, though, I drifted away and lost contact with Mark.

I found out this news today and was shocked, not just because we had just reconnected only a few months ago through Facebook, but also because death by asthma really hits home with me. You see, my youngest son has asthma, and his condition can degrade rapidly if untreated. In that sense, Mark's death affected me today in ways I would not have imagined.

Why do I mention Mark's passing on this blog? Because it was on the basis of Genesis games that he and I reconnected a few months ago. I had posted on Facebook that I was looking for old Genesis games, and he let me know that he had some old ones. Then, we chatted online and reminisced about those times bowling and hanging out. My greatest regret is that I didn't just meet up with him in person once -- to hang out, bowl, or even shake hands.

My condolences to Mark's fiancee, family, and loved ones. You are indeed missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment